How to begin this review? Few countries that debuted in the 1700s have been as controversial or long running (it’s into its 236th season now) as America. It may not have the staying power of perennial favorites such as China or the credibility of indie darlings such as Finland, but America has proven that it can at least make some cultural impact. It’s not the best, but hey, they can’t all be Louie.
America was originally a spinoff of the long-running England. Airing from the 1776-77 season through today, America focuses on a small ensemble of white people using things in the ground to become rich or kill brown people. A sprawling dramedy, it combines all of the loose plot points of a Tyler Perry sitcom with all the fun of being white.
It has widely focused on the themes of war, freedom, sitting, Fenway Park, maps, the one true Christian god, rugs, pregnancy tits, Vice Magazine, butterfaces, coal, butterdicks, “Where’s the Beef?,” Chicago, Larry Flynt, colonialism, Terri Schiavo, NBC single-camera sitcoms, toddlers, suicide pacts, Atari, penny farthing bicycles, SpaghettiO’s (Cool Ranch flavor), tiny dolls, the TLC show Sister Wives, H1N1, television, and genocide. It has some unique perspective every once in awhile, but honestly, America can be super derivative. Most of the stories have already been on The Simpsons.
A lot of episodes in America don’t really hold up. Slavery? Parachute pants? White slavery? It just feels really overdone now. Among the most memorable episodes are “The Civil War,” “Texas,” “World War” (a two-parter), and “Black President.”
Some of the storylines are also a bit of a stretch. Are they really expecting us to believe that they killed all the Indians and that all those Indians did to deserve it was invent Diabetes?! And come on – that stuff in the 9/11 episode could not have happened without someone working on the inside. That makes no sense. “9/11” jumped the shark. Hard.
It’s been on so long that no one wants to comment on the OBVIOUS PLOT HOLES. Such awful continuity. Like, how could it be explained that in season 170, George H.W. Bush fathered a retarded son, but then in season 225, that son became president?! Really terrible continuity. I would like to point out that I appreciate a recent callback to earlier plots. Around seasons 174-184, some of the anti-feminist and sexist storylines were put on the backburner, but it’s nice that we’ve seen a resurgence in this last season.
There’s a lot of homosexual undertones to the country. The Very Special Episode about Lewis & Clark was revised to not include the fact that they originally named Oregon after the French word for “gay-ween butt-orgy” (“Baguette”). Baseball, the “American Pastime,” is about using bats (“dicks”) to hit balls (“balls”) all while blowing each other in the dugout (“RBI”). And how about the American flag? Obviously 13 dicks going into 50 buttholes.
America has time and time again proved itself as a launching ground for young starlets. It’s fun seeing people before they became huge stars, like John Ritter, Stella McCartney, Theodore John “Ted” Kaczynski, and Ted “Ted” Bundy. But the ensemble works best when we see the regulars yearn for a raise or promotion, struggle with Mary Tyler Moore’s foibles and be there for Mary Tyler Moore when the going gets rough. I stole this from a review for The Mary Tyler Moore Show, but I think it completely and entirely makes sense to literally lift from that review and drop it into this context as well.
As someone with more quirky and alt tastes, I can’t say that America is my favorite thing to watch. I’m more into Breaking Bad. Have you seen season 4?! Season 4 of Breaking Bad is flawless. Season 4 of America is VERY uneven. It had no main black characters. Girls, much?! I love The Wire!
I just hope to God (the American/right one) that they don’t pull some deus ex machina shit at the end of this series. Like, there’s nuclear war with North Korea, or they’ve been dead the whole time or something.
Anyway, it may have veered off wildly from the pilot, but America is definitely worth a look. It’s an interesting experiment in the world of primetime sovereign nations. What the characters lack in consistency, they make up for in body weight, lingering racism, and inconsistency. But it makes for a quick and easy viewing, and can often surprise you with heartfelt turns. It’s like eating Cool Ranch SpaghettiO’s on a warm summer’s eve. And hey, sometimes things get really good right before they’re cancelled.
MY RATING: 50 stars (out of 100).
- inger-eli likes this
- queenofzeegeeks reblogged this from meganamram
- queenofzeegeeks likes this
- ridethewaves-joey likes this
- the-excel likes this
- paranoiak-xx likes this
- zaatar likes this
- cameokiddo reblogged this from caitlinshmatelin
- bubblegus likes this
- caitlinshmatelin reblogged this from majortvjunkie
- f0rev3rinfinite likes this
- hopeful-timetraveler likes this
- igreatlyenjoybutts reblogged this from majortvjunkie
- halfinfinite likes this
- halfinfinite reblogged this from majortvjunkie
- lovemylife96 reblogged this from majortvjunkie
- lovemylife96 likes this
- allergictoglitter reblogged this from majortvjunkie
- justdropitplease reblogged this from majortvjunkie
- itsmylife-shutup-enjoyme reblogged this from majortvjunkie
- itsmylife-shutup-enjoyme likes this
- guiltyofthesamethings likes this
- yoladni likes this
- land-of-g0ds-and-m0nsters reblogged this from majortvjunkie
- realitynobodywanted likes this
- okeriawho reblogged this from majortvjunkie
- okeriawho likes this
- phloon reblogged this from majortvjunkie
- alwayssuperhungryyy likes this
- pintoa likes this
- unknown-galaxy reblogged this from majortvjunkie
- aslutinlatin reblogged this from majortvjunkie
- sofuckyourulesman likes this
- chasingfables reblogged this from majortvjunkie
- shampained likes this
- chasingfables likes this
- parlcsandrecs likes this
- michibitchi reblogged this from majortvjunkie
- elounortomlinson likes this
- deifacted likes this
- rain-path reblogged this from majortvjunkie
- whiteraven-blackraven likes this
- xo-from-california likes this
- force-to-change reblogged this from majortvjunkie
- shinyhaunter likes this
- fiftyshadesofgaga likes this
- komaedaughter likes this
- clintology likes this
- ranitears likes this
- withyourlittlequips likes this